Quick Facts about Uganda:
- It's in Eastern Africa, bordering countries are both Kenya and Sudan.
- It is approximately the size of Oregon, with a population of about 32,369,558.
- AIDS is highly prevalent. Life expectancy is lower, infant mortality rates are higher, and population growth is lower. 50% of the population is between 0-14 years of age. 48% is between 15-65 and only 2% live to be older than 65 years of age.
- The official language is English, but other languages include Swahili, Luganda, and Ganda among others.
- It is a breathtakingly beautiful country, with an abundant amount of natural resources including copper, cobalt, oil, COFFEE!, tea, and cotton (their cash crops).
- There are an estimated 2.5 million orphans in Uganda, 20% of the population of children there, and about 2% of the entire population
- Children who deaf are considered outcasts and are usually abandoned (click here for more information from Lifeline's Unadopted ministry). There is a unique ministry there that Pastor Raphael works with, called the Deaf Empowerment Center. He is ministering to the deaf children and raising awareness in churches of the need to care for these children and give them a voice. Cannot wait to visit this ministry!
These are but a few facts of this beautiful country that the Lord is allowing us to adopt from. Follow our journey to the Uganda and back as the Lord works to bring our children home!
"A Father to the fatherless and a judge for the widows is God in His holy habitation. God makes a home for the lonely; He leads out the prisoners into prosperity..." ~Psalm 68:5-6a